10 Ways Young People can Volunteer as They Head Back to School
Started by Miley Cyrus and YSA in 2009, Get Ur Good On™ is an online network for youth to support each other in their missions to do “good” in their communities. Featuring celebrities, multimedia platforms, grants and awards, Get Ur Good On is the place for youth to learn about, implement and share innovative solutions to global issues. Nearly 20,000 young people across the world are uploading pictures, videos, and blog posts about the amazing work they are doing to make a difference.
Its time to Get Ur Good On for Back to School! Miley and her partners at YSA want to make sure YOU kick-off the school year by making a difference. Read this list of ten ways to Get Ur Good On for Back to School with Glee, Pencils of Promise, Pretty Little Liars, and much more:
- Join the cast of Pretty Little Liars in hosting a school supply drive. Ask friends to buy extra pencils, paper, and pens while supply shopping. Collect items and donate to the Staples for Students drive.
- Harry Potter, The Lying Game, Miles to Go, Matched. Help children in need receive great books by joining a local First Book Advisory Board.
- Love Algebra? Won last year’s spelling bee? Sign up to tutor kids in a lower grade level or at another school.
- The Glee movie opens in August! Read this blog post about how Glee relates to service and join the students of William Mckinley High School in raising awareness about anti-bullying and tolerance.
- Hurricane peaks at the end of August. Crank up a great playlist, get snacks, and gather friends and make disaster preparedness kits. A teenager and former YSA grantee used grant money to start the organization Always Ready Kids; its site provides tips on kit making.
- Build a school in a developing nation with Pencils of Promise; one of Justin Bieber’s favorite organizations! Download an advocacy toolkit and join the movement.
- Miley supports Blessings in Backpack, a childhood hunger focused organization. Join her in the fight against childhood hunger and plan a service project to address the issue. Apply for a Sodexo Youth Grant by September 16th to fund your project.
- August 12th is International Youth Day. Post status updates on Facebook and tweet about contributions young people have made to change the world. Find ideas on the TEDxYouth YouTube channel!
- The first day of school is like a fashion show, but not all kids can afford new outfits. Host a clothing drive and donate items to a local community or religious center.